Apply for Development Approval

Application for Development Approval

Checklist for Applications for Development Approval

Additional Information for Development Approval for Advertisements

Application for Extractive Industry Licence & Checklist

Whether development requires Development Approval is dependent on many different factors. This could be the location of the development on the property, the zoning of the property, the type of activity or use, the contravention of a Local Planning Policy or other reasons. 

Planning Officers at the Shire of Chittering can provide an initial assessment and let you know as to whether an application is required for a proposed development. If you would like to get an initial assessment, you can email and provide a site plan or an overview of what you wish to do. One of our Planners will be in contact to provide you more information on your proposal.

Types of applications

Building Envelopes

Building Envelopes are determined by Development Plans for estates in the Shire of Chittering. Moving or varying building envelopes can be helpful if you wish to build a home in a more feasible area whether it be for lower earthworks costs or to achieve a lower Bushfire Attack Level. To apply you will need to obtain Development Approval

Commercial and Industrial

All commercial and/or industrial development requires Development Approval from the Shire.

Extractive Industries

Extractive Industries on properties within the Shire of Chittering require Development Approval and a subsequent Extractive Industry Licence in line with the Extractive Industries Local Law 2014

Home Business

Most businesses need to comply with various government regulations to operate in Western Australia. If your business is operated from a residential address you may need Development Approval.

The various licences, permits, approvals and registrations required are issued by local, state and federal government agencies, and other non-government organisations. The question many small business starters then ask themselves is "how do I find out which licences my business needs without approaching each agency individually?"

The Small Business Development Corporation has a free online tool you can use to identify which licences your business might need.


Occasionally residential homes will require Development Approval as the property may be in a certain area that may affect visual amenity, environmental protection, high water tables or other environmental aspects. Another aspect that may impact your need to apply for Development Approval is the Bushfire Attack Level (BAL) determined by an independent consultant - higher levels will need to be considered.

Rural Pursuit

People who wish to keep more animals on their property than what is permissable according to the Shire's Local Planning Policy 24 - Stocking Rates will need to apply for a Rural Pursuit via a Development Approval Application.

Signage or Advertisements

Signage or advertisements within the Shire need to go through planning to ensure that they don't effect sight lines and visual amenity of the area. Additionally, either of these proposed to go on Great Northern Highway, Brand Highway and Bindoon-Moora Road will be referred to Main Roads Western Australia for their input as these roads are governed by the State Government.