Rates - FAQs

What types of concessions are available?


Pensioners / Seniors - Rebates

Pensioners and seniors who meet the criteria and hold valid cards may be entitled to claim a rebate of up to 50% off the current year's rates and Emergency Services Levy (ESL) charge, or pensioners may defer payment of those rates.

To qualify for a pensioner/senior rebate you must be the owner and occupier of the property at 1 July of the financial year. A pro-rata rebate may be available from the date of registration to pensioners and seniors who become eligible after 1 July of the rating year.

Concessions Available

Seniors card only holders are entitled to receive up to a 25% on rates and ESL (NOTE: a capped maximum amount applies each year).

Seniors card and Commonwealth Seniors Health card holder are entitled to receive up to 50% on rates and ESL.

Pensioner Concession card or State Concession card holders are entitled to receive up to 50% on rates and ESL.

Apply for a Rebate

To apply for a rebate, submit a completed application form (available at the Shire of Chittering or Water Corporation) together with a photocopy of your cards to either the Shire of Chittering or the Water Corporation

Deferment of Rates

The outstanding rates balance:

  • remains as a debt on the property until paid;
  • may be paid at any time, BUT you do not receive any concession when they are paid after due date (that is, you forfeit any concession you may have been entitled to);
  • does not incur penalty interest charges.

Am I eligible for a concession?

To receive a concession you must:

  • hold one or more of the appropriate Pensioner or Seniors Cards as detailed below,
  • be the owner or co-owner of the property or have a right to reside at the property under the terms of a Will as at 1 July; and
  • occupy the property as your 'ordinary place of residence'.

Where the property is subject to co-ownership, a partial concession may apply.

Where a 'right to reside' at the property under the terms of a Will exists, you will need to provide a copy of the appropriate documents when registering.

The concessions applying to each type of eligible card are detailed below:

Seniors Card (SC) Only

  • You are entitled to receive up to a 25% rebate on your Annual Rates and and Emergency Services Levy
  • The rebate will be limited to a maximum amount; and
  • The deferment option will not be available.

Seniors Card (SC) AND a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card (CSHC)

  • You are entitled to receive up to a 50% rebate on your Annual Rates and Emergency Services Levy.
  • You may be entitled to defer your Annual Rates and Fire and Emergency Services Levy.

Pensioner Concession Card (PCC) OR State Concession Card (SCC)

  • You are entitled to receive up to a 50% rebate on your Rates and Emergency Services Levy
  • You may be entitled to defer your Annual Rates and Fire and Emergency Services Levy.

Pro-Rata Provisions

If you become eligible to hold either a Seniors Card, Pensioner Concession Card, or a Seniors Card together with a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card during the year, you may be eligible for a pro-rata rates rebate for the current financial year from the date you register with your Local Government.

What do I do, if my circumstances change?

You must immediately advise your Local Government if your circumstances change at any time.

For example, notification is required if:

  • you are issued with a new card or your card is cancelled or expires;
  • your original application details will or have changed;
  • you sell or transfer an interest in all, or part, of your property or move to another address;
  • as a senior (card issued by Office of Seniors Interests) become an eligible pensioner or the holder of a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card; or
  • you or your spouse ceases occupation of the property.

How do I apply for a concession?

To apply for a concession, submit a completed application form, together with a photocopy of both sides of your card (s) to the Shire of Chittering or the Water Corporation.

Your applications for registration will be effective from the day that the Shire of Chittering or Water Corporation first receive a completed registration form.

Important - You can only claim a concession or deferment (where eligible) on one (1) property in any one rating year. This applies to the property owned and occupied as at 1 July. Where arrears of your Annual Rates and/or Fire and Emergency Services Levy exist, a concession may be available where you enter into, and maintain, a payment arrangement to clear the arrears.

Where can I get more information on applications?

If you would like more information on the Pensioners and Seniors Concessions, or an application for registration, please contact:

Water Corporation 13 13 85 (click here to go to the Water Corporation website)

Shire of Chittering 9576 4600

Where can I get more information about the cards?

WA Seniors Card

Department: Office of Seniors Interests (WA Government)
Phone: 6217 8855/td>
Open Hours: 9am to 3pm weekdays (except public holidays)

Commonwealth Seniors Health Card or Pensioners Concession Card

Department: Centrelink (Commonwealth Government)
Phone: 13 23 00

Commonwealth Department of Veteran Affairs

Phone: 9366 8222
Country: 1800 113 304

State Concession Card

Department: Family and Children's Services (WA Government)
Phone: 9222 2555
Country: 1800 622 258

How is penalty interest calculated on overdue amounts?

To ensure that the many ratepayers who pay their rates accounts to the Shire by the due dates are not disadvantaged, the Shire of Chittering has resolved that it will charge interest on rates balances which remain unpaid after the due date. Section 6.51 of the Local Government Act 1995 and the Local Government Financial Management Regulations provide for interest to be charged on 'Overdue Amounts' which are defined as rates which remain outstanding beyond the due date specified on the Annual Rates Notice.

The maximum interest rate which can be charged on outstanding rates amounts is determined by the Local Government Financial Management Regulations. Currently, this amount is set at 8% per annum and is calculated daily on amounts that are not paid within 35 days of the issue date of the notice.

How do I appeal against the valuation of my property?

Determinations of Gross Rental Values (GRV) and Unimproved Valuations (UV) used in calculating rates are supplied to local governments by the Valuer General's Office. Any objection against the valuation must be made in writing within 60 days of issue to:

Property and Valuations - Landgate

Address: 1 Midland Square (PO Box 2222) Midland WA 6936
Phone: 9273 7373
Email: vs@landgate.wa.gov.au

Where an objection to the Valuer General has been made, the full amount of rates is still due and payable 35 days from date of issue of the rate notice. Any decision resulting from the objection or subsequent Land Tribunal hearing will be retrospectively adjusted.


What is the Emergency Services Levy (ESL)?

The Emergency Services Levy (ESL) is an annual charge paid by all property owners in Western Australia. Local Government collects the ESL on behalf of the Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES). The ESL is clearly defined on your rates notice.

The ESL helps DFES deliver essential fire and emergency services to keep Western Australian communities safe from natural hazards and emergencies. The ESL also goes towards funding fire and emergency vehicles and aerial fleet, life-saving equipment and emergency services facilities.

For more information about the ESL, please contact the DFES Head Office on 1300 136 099, or visit their website: https://www.dfes.wa.gov.au/emergency-services-levy