Frequently Asked Questions

My neighbour's property is full of weeds, what can I do? 

This is not a Shire matter, please call the Department of Agriculture (part of Department of Primary Industries & Regional Development) on (08) 9368 3333.

Am I allowed to cull kangaroos on my property?

A licence is required to be able to cull any native animal. Contact the Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions (specifically the Parks and Wildlife Service on (08) 9219 9000) to find out more. Further to this, the use of firearms in residential properties is governed by the Western Australian Police, please contact Gingin Police on (08) 9575 5600 before using any firearms in your area.

I have caught a feral cat, what do I do with it now?

Rangers will not accept feral cats. You will need to contact a Feral Pest Control Operator who is licenced with the Department of Health to dispose of the animal.

What can I do about an animal (or animals) that are being maltreated?

Animal Welfare is managed by the RSPCA. When you contact the RSPCA and report the issue to them, they will open a case and contact the Shire's Rangers to liaise with them. The Rangers are not authorised to act under the Animal Welfare Act 2002 and are not able to action any complaints without it being reported to the RSPCA first.

What can I do about an infestation of feral animals?

The Chittering Landcare Centre are able to provide advice on the management of feral species. Otherwise you can contact a Feral Pest Control Operator who is licenced with the Department of Health.

My neighbour's dog barks a lot, I don't want to make a written complaint, what can I do?

Ranger Services fully appreciates that a barking dog can often severely disrupt people's lives, and erodes their quality of life.  However, the treatment, and solution for a barking dog is often a lengthy, difficult and complex issue to deal with. 

The laws relating to an alleged dog nuisance are prescribed by State Legislation, and Local Authorities are bound to follow that process.

Most aggrieved parties want 'immediate action'; the reality is that dog nuisance complaints are difficult to resolve, for a number of reasons, which may include:

  1.  Barking is very subjective, with many different interpretations as to what is a nuisance.  The degree of annoyance, therefore, varies with the location of the dog, and the tolerance of the complainant.
  2.  It is extremely difficult to collect reliable and permanent evidence of the frequency, and loudness of a dog's barking.
  3. A barking complaint may in some cases be one aspect of the neighbourly dispute; therefore, the standard of evidence from the complaints has to be of a high level, and takes time to gather.
  4.  Dog owners are seldom bothered by their own dogs barking, and are often unaware that it is causing a nuisance to others.  Some dog owners also have difficulty in believing that their dog barks excessively.  This is usually because the dog barks, when the owners are out, and when they return home, the dog stops barking, or decreases it's barking to a more acceptable level.

If these steps have been taken and after a reasonable time the nuisance is continuing; or you are unable to approach or write to the dog’s owner, you are required to substantiate the allegation in writing. Please see Dogs for more information and forms.