Dogs & Cats


Dog Registration Form

Dog Registration Fees

Cat Registration Form

Cat Registration Fees

Change of Details of an Existing Animal Registration

All dogs and cats in Western Australia are required to be registered with their Local Government Authority. Renewals for one year and three year registrations are due on the 31st of October of each year.

Lifetime registrations are also available, allowing dog and cat owners to register their animals for the duration of their lifespan.

If you have recently bought a dog or cat that was owned by someone else within the Shire, or wish to change the owner in your household, a Change of Details of an Existing Animal Registration form will need to be filled out.

To transfer a dog or cat from another Local Government to the Shire of Chittering you will need to fill out a new Registration Form. If the owner details on the registration at the previous Local Government are different to the transfer, you will need to amend the details at the previous Local Government before the dog can be transferred to the Shire of Chittering.

Discounted registration fees are applicable for the following (with applicable proof provided):

  • Pensioner and Concession Card Holders
  • Dogs that are sterilised
  • Working dogs (kept for the purpose of tending and droving stock)

Applying to have multiple dogs or cats

Application for Exemptions of Limitation of Number of Dogs

Application for Permit to Keep More than Two Cats

Residents who own dogs on properties that are zoned Townsite, Rural Residential, Small Rural Holding and Rural Retreat are able to keep two dogs and will need to apply to keep more.

 Residents who own dogs on properties that are zoned Agricultural Resource are able to keep three dogs and will need to apply to keep more.

To apply to keep more than the prescribed amount of dogs or cats, you will need to fill in an application form (above) and pay the applicable fee.

Barking & nuisance dogs

Dear Neighbour - Nuisance Barking Letter

Form & Barking Dog Diary - Complaint as to a Nuisance Created by a Dog

Why do dogs bark?

Barking is a form of communication for dogs, they can be expressing excitement, boredom, stress, anxiety or defending their territory.

How can I reduce my dogs barking?

Try to establish the cause. If you are able to determine the cause, you will need to commit to a strategy to address it. Behaviour can be changed through training, mental stimulation, socialising your dog, addressing medical issues or further owner understanding of dog behaviour. Consistency and rewarding of good behaviour is key. If you find that the behaviour doesn’t change, engaging with an Animal Behaviour Consultant can be beneficial.

What can I do about nuisance barking from a neighbouring dog?

If you are concerned about the level of noise a dog in your area is making, try to resolve the issue by speaking to the owner first. Many times owners are unaware of the behaviour and this can give them the opportunity to amend the situation without further incident. Open and friendly conversations can often lead to a solution. If the matter cannot be resolved directly, a formal complaint to the Shire with supporting evidence can be made in writing (see above Form & Barking Dog Diary - Complaint as to a Nuisance Created by a Dog).

What can the Shire do about nuisance barking?

When an official complaint is received, the Shire will ask the complainant to complete a Barking Dog Diary if not done so already (see above Form & Barking Dog Diary - Complaint as to a Nuisance Created by a Dog). The Shire will assess the evidence and if applicable approach the owner of the dog to assist in resolving the issue. The complainant will be asked to complete another further diaries to support the ongoing complaint.

If the issue continues and the dog’s barking persists to interfere with peace, comfort or convenience, Rangers may issue a notice to the owner of the dog, legally requiring the owner to take all reasonable steps to reduce the noise. If the issue persists, further action may be taken.