Home Businesses

Do I need a licence or permit to operate my business?

Most businesses need to comply with various government regulations to operate in Western Australia. For example, if your business is operated from a residential address you may need a Home Occupation Licence from your local Council.

The various licences, permits, approvals and registrations required are issued by local, state and federal government agencies, and other non-government organisations.

The question many small business starters then ask themselves is "how do I find out which licences my business needs without approaching each agency individually?"

The Small Business Development Corporation has a free online tool you can use to identify which licences your business might need.

The Small Business Development Corporation also provides:

  • a one-stop-shop for business licence information
  • a list of the licences that apply to your business
  • details of licence fees and periods of cover
  • contact details for the agency that administers each licence, and
  • application forms for many licences

Is there a local business network?

You can contact the Chittering Chamber of Commerce via email chitteringcc@gmail.com. If you would like to be included on the Shire's business related contact list (used for sharing relevant information and requesting timely feedback) please email edo@chittering.wa.gov.au.