In June the Shire of Chittering engaged Catalyse, an independent consultant, to measure perceived performance against key indicators in the Strategic Community Plan. The resulting evaluation of community priorities enables Council to better understand the needs of residents and assists with the current review of the Strategic Community Plan.
Invitations to complete the ‘Scorecard’ were mailed out to all ratepayers. An explanatory advertisement was also shared through all Shire communication channels. In total, 409 residents submitted a response.
Over the past two years 10 regional local authorities in WA have participated in this process. Of those 10 regional local governments, Chittering ranked sixth overall with a score of 61 out of 100 (just two points below the regional average).
The survey found that Chittering ranked highly in the areas of:
- Shire website
- Festivals, events and cultural activities
- Household waste and recycling services
- Community buildings, halls and toilets
- Bush fire prevention and control
Moving forward, the community would like Council to focus on improving in the areas of:
- Improved leadership – by understanding and representing the community’s needs
- Better value for rates – by minimising rate increases
- Improved road maintenance – particularly drainage and road surfaces
- Providing tidier, more presentable, streetscapes
- Delivering stronger economic and tourism development
A full copy of the report is available through the Shire Administration or on the Shire website. Another document of interest when considering priorities is the 2016-2017 Spending Snapshot.
If you missed this opportunity to share your priorities please attend one of our Community Workshops (Monday 24 or Wednesday 26 October, both 6pm to 8pm, Chinkabee Complex). If you are unable to attend but would like to submit your comments please contact Lisa.
- Ends -
For further information please contact Lisa Kay, Community & Club Development Officer on 9576 4600 or via email@example.com. This media statement has no regulatory value.