Chittering’s Brockman Precinct is not only the location of the magnificent Old Road Board building, it is home to three fantastically proactive local community-led organisations:
- Bindoon & Districts Historical Society, the ‘new’ Museum building was established at the Precinct in June 2010 and houses an amazing collection of old farm machinery, vintage vehicles, historic household items and tools. It is a very popular destination for chartered bus tours, open Saturday ~ Sunday ~ Wednesday 10am to 3pm.
- Bindoon Arts & Crafts, these lovely ladies utilise the old Shire Clerk’s home, including running a delightful shop for their handcrafted wares. They meet to share stories and laughter while quilting, knitting, crocheting, sewing, spinning, mosaicking and pottery’ing. It’s not unusual to see other likeminded groups visiting from far and wide, open Saturday ~ Sunday ~ Wednesday 10am to 3pm.
- Bindoon Men’s Shed, after establishing the group in October 2012 the Shed construction was completed in early 2015. The Shed boasts a well-equipped workshop where members tinker away building furniture for sale at local events. The “Dribble and Spit” corner is also popular for card games and socialising, along with a snooker table and dart board. The Shed is open Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 10am with ‘Muster’ held on the third Tuesday of each month.
Thanks also go to the Wheatbelt Development Commission for their facilitation of the Community Chest funding which saw beautification at the Precinct through the preparation of new garden beds, complete with rainwater tanks and reticulation. All this exciting information begs us to ask the question. “Have you visited the Brockman Precinct lately?”
There is such a wealth of knowledge amongst the group members and they are keen to share with community members and visitors, young or old. If you’d like the opportunity to learn some new ‘old’ skills consider heading down to the Precinct for;
- Swag Fest – a free community event on Sunday, 9 April 2017 from 10am to 3pm
- School Holiday Fun – free activities on Wednesday, 12 April 2017 (registrations required)
- Airing of the Quilts – during September’s Chittering Spring Flower Festival
Or, if you can’t make it down for a visit you can keep up-to-date with events, activities and personalities online or through Facebook.
- Ends -
For further information please contact Lisa Kay, Community & Club Development Officer on 9576 4600 or via email@example.com. This media statement has no regulatory value.