Notice to all owners and/or occupiers of land situated in the Shire of Chittering
As a measure to assist in the control of bush fires, or prevent the spread or extension of a bush fire which may occur, all owners and occupiers of land within the shire’s district are required before the 16th day of October in each year, or within 14 days of becoming the owner or occupier of land if after that date, to clear firebreaks or take measures in accordance with this notice and maintain those firebreaks and measures in accordance with this notice up to and including the 31st day of May in the following year.
Pursuant to the powers contained in Section 33 of the Bush Fires Act 1954, you are hereby required to clear all flammable material from fire breaks, not less than 3 metres in width and 4 metres in height, immediately inside all external boundaries of any lot owned or occupied by you and situated within the Shire of Chittering. Such firebreaks may be constructed by one or more of the following methods:
- Ploughing, cultivating, scarifying, raking, burning, chemical spraying or other approved method
For more information pertaining to the Shire's Fire Break Notice is available to download below
PDF files are used on www.chittering.wa.gov.au for large documents and other resources. Where a document is not designed to be exclusively printed, an accessible alternative file (for example HTML, Rich Text) may be obtained by emailing email@example.com and request the publication by quoting the title of the document and your requested format.
Dates to Remember
- Firebreaks must be cleared by 16 October and remain cleared until 31 May
- Burning permits are required between 1 October until 30 November AND 1 April until 31 May
- Burning is prohibited between 1 December until 31 March
Due to seasonal conditions, notice is hereby given that pursuant to the powers vested in Council under Section 18 of the Bush Fires Act 1954 (as amended), the Shire of Chittering Restricted Burning Period has been delayed and will now commence on Saturday, 15 October until 30 November 2016. Permits to Burn will now be required from Saturday, 15 October 2016.
For further information please contact the Shire's Community Emergency Services Manager/Chief Bushfire Control Officer by email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone (08) 9576 4600.
The following restrictions apply throughout the RESTRICTED and PROHIBITED periods
- No burning on Sundays and Public Holidays
- No burning of garden refuse without permit
- No lighting of camp fires or solid fuel BBQs, and wood fired pizza ovens or any uncontrolled flame in the open air in the Shire of Chittering ("Open Air" means any open place, yard, field or construction area which is not enclosed by a building or structure)
- Burning of roadside verges is prohibited without written approval from the Shire of Chittering or other authorities
Burning is also prohibited on any day when;
- the fire danger index reaches "VERY HIGH" "SEVERE" "EXTREME" or "CATASTROPHIC"; or
- a TOTAL FIRE BAN has been declared
Firebreaks are now required throughout the Shire of Chittering;
- Shire Rangers are currently inspecting properties
Are you Bush Fire Ready?
- Call 9576 4600 for more details
Please click HERE to report any page errors