Watch Out For Wineries
The Chittering Valley is under an hour by road north-west of Perth. Its gently rolling hills form a tranquil backdrop to the myriad of orchards, farms and vineyards that dot the hillsides.
Situated up to 300 metres above sea level, the climate and soils of the Chittering Valley are quite different to those of nearby viticulture regions.
The soils of the Valley are predominantly sandy brown and red loam over clay with some granite outcrop, while the climate is typically Mediterranean with cold, wet winters and hot dry summers. These conditions are ideal for grape growing with winter frosts ensuring good fruit set and hot summer days and cool summer nights guaranteeing grape ripening.
Wines are made from the characteristic grapes of the region - Shiraz, Verdelho, Grenache, Viognier, Chenin Blanc and Chardonnay.
Local wineries include...
- Stringybark - 9571 8069 (2060 Chittering Road, Chittering)
- Kyotmunga - 0407 009 399 (287 Chittering Valley Road, Lower Chittering)
- Glenowen - 9576-1041 (please call for more information)
- Bindoon Estate - 0427 506 084 (please call for more information)
Neighbouring wineries include...
- Alicia Estate (Toodyay) - 9574 5458
- Coorinja Estate - 0417 989 559
- Riseborough Estate (Gingin) - 9575 1211
- Avon Valley WA - www.avonvalleywa.com.au/