The first recorded explorer to the region was George Fletcher Moore in April 1835. The first official use of the name “Chittering” is with reference to a survey description to Lake Chittering in March 1843, by William Brockman to his property.
For a full history about the Shire of Chittering you can purchase "Chittering – Exploration to Shire" by Bruce Buchanan from the Administration Centre. This book delves from early exploration and settlement in 1829 through to the 1950s.
The Shire has many heritage places that we encourage residents and visitors to view to learn about our region’s history.
Click here to see what the Brockman Centre has to offer you.
Bindoon Catholic Agricultural College
Construction for the college started in 1940, with the officially opening in 1941. The college was known as Bindoon Boys Town from 1936 to 1965. Most of the building's work was completed in 1953, with extensions and alterations made during the 1970s. The college is a co-educational Catholic School for years 7 to 12. For further information about the college visit Catholic Agricultural College Bindoon.
Bindoon Townsite Heritage Walk
Click here for more information on the Shire's "Tale Trail".
Holy Trinity Church
Building of the Holy Trinity Church started in 1886. The consecration of this, the first church in Chittering, was on 16 October 1887. Click here to access Australian Cemeteries.
St Benedict’s Church
The date of building is unknown however historical records indicate that the erection of a new church building was printed in August 1908, and that the building would be ready for service in the New Year. With fundraising by the community the foundation stone was laid in February 1909 by the Right Rev Abbott Torres OSB, and presided over by the Rev Father Hoyne.
The Old Well
This well is located in front of the Muchea General Store on the Brand Highway and dates back to the time of early settlers. The well is in working order and visitors are free to pump bore water.
Please click HERE to report any page errors