Do I need a licence or permit to operate my business?
Most businesses need to comply with various government regulations to operate in Western Australia. For example, if your business is operated from a residential address you may need a Home Occupation Licence from your local Council.
The various licences, permits, approvals and registrations required are issued by local, state and federal government agencies, and other non-government organisations.
The question many small business starters then ask themselves is "how do I find out which licences my business needs without approaching each agency individually?"
The Business Licence Information Service is a free online tool you can use to identify which of the 6,000 listed licences your business will need.
- a one-stop-shop for business licence information
- a list of the licences that apply to your business
- details of licence fees and periods of cover
- contact details for the agency that administers each licence, and
- application forms for many licences.