Text size:


Home Businesses

Do I need a licence or permit to operate my business?

Most businesses need to comply with various government regulations to operate in Western Australia. For example, if your business is operated from a residential address you may need a Home Occupation Licence from your local Council.

The various licences, permits, approvals and registrations required are issued by local, state and federal government agencies, and other non-government organisations.

The question many small business starters then ask themselves is "how do I find out which licences my business needs without approaching each agency individually?"

The Small Business Development Corporation has a free online tool you can use to identify which licences your business might need. 

The Small Business Development Corporation also provides:

  • a one-stop-shop for business licence information
  • a list of the licences that apply to your business
  • details of licence fees and periods of cover
  • contact details for the agency that administers each licence, and
  • application forms for many licences.

Is there a local business network?

You can contact the Chittering Chamber of Commerce via email by clicking here.  If you would like to be included on the Shire's business related contact list (used for sharing relevant information and requesting timely feedback) please click here.

Please click HERE to report any page errors